Prospective Student FAQs


Applicant Profile and Statistics

Who should apply to the MS in Human Nutrition program at the Institute of Human Nutrition (IHN)?

Students with an interest in dentistry, law, medicine, nursing, nutrition journalism, physical therapy, public health, technology, basic science, and clinical research are encouraged to consider the MS program as a stepping stone towards their future career. The goal of the MS program is to train professionals to integrate nutrition into whatever fields they pursue.

What are the average GPA and standardized test scores for an IHN MS program applicant?

The average GPA is equal to or higher than a 3.2 on a 4 point scale and the desired graduate level entrance exam (DAT, GRE, MCAT, etc.) score is at the 60th percentile or higher for all sections. We consider a range of criteria when selecting applicants. Otherwise outstanding applicants who may have GPAs or test scores somewhat below the average are encouraged to apply. To inquire further about pre-requisites, feel free to contact our offices at

How competitive is the MS program?

The program is competitive and attracts students with a strong background in biological sciences. We typically receive between 200 and 250 applications for 75-80 spots.


Program Details

Will the Fall 2020 semester be in-person or on-line?

As the Columbia community, New York City, and the world continue to deal with the effects and uncertainty of the coronavirus, the Institute of Human Nutrition has made the decision to conduct our MS program remotely for Fall 2020. Our faculty is experienced in remote teaching and is working to ensure an outstanding fall semester. Columbia University and the IHN have systems in place to maintain the highest educational standards, regardless of where learning takes place.

How long is the MS program?

The MS program is completed in one year, begining with mandatory orientation the last week of August. The fall term runs from September through December. The spring term runs from January through May and the summer term from late May until successful completion of the master’s thesis, which is due in mid-September. The MS degree is conferred in mid-October. If students anticipate attending another graduate program (e.g. dental, medical, nursing school, etc.), following admission they can frontload their thesis work in the fall and spring to finish the program mid-summer. This frontloading requires careful planning and communication with thesis mentors. Upon request from the student, we can confirm completion of their MS degree to other graduate programs.

What is expected of me during the MS program?

The IHN MS program is a rigorous one-year program. Students are expected to work hard, and in return will be exposed to many different ideas in a complex field to which health professionals and policy-makers around the world have committed considerable energies, attention, and resources. To maintain a high academic standard, students should be prepared to dedicate a minimum of one hour per credit per week IN CLASS, and about 3 hours per credit per week to work outside of class. Most students take 15 credits per semester; this would translate to about 60 hours per week of combined in-class and out of class time.

In addition, students are expected to spend 10-15 hours/week on their thesis project in the fall and spring terms and devote a minimum of 10 weeks full-time (~350 hours or more) from May – August. All students are expected to attend classes (and to be on time).

When and where are nutrition courses held?

Courses meet Monday through Friday, usually between 9 AM and 6 PM. They are held at the Columbia University Irving Medical Center campus, which is located primarily on West 168th Street between Broadway and Fort Washington Avenue. Classes typically meet once a week for two to three hours with a break in the middle. Note that there are currently no online courses offered.

Does the Institute of Human Nutrition have online courses?

The only online courses offered by the Institute of Human Nutrition are continuing medical education courses for physicians. (View under the CME menu tab.) Classes for our MS in Human Nutrition degree are all in-person, with the exception of our current state of remote coursework due to the COVID-19 outbreak. 



What are the application requirements for the program?

Please visit our  Application Information page for a list of our application requirements.

What is the admissions time frame?

Our application is open December 1st - July 15th every year for matriculation into the following fall class. (i.e December 1, 2020 - July 15th, 2021 for matriculation as a student for Fall 2021). 

Students are accepted on a rolling basis. Due to our small class size (80 students) we recommend applicants apply before the application deadline. 

Can I submit my online application without materials such as test scores and letters of recommendation?

Yes, and please do! IHN staff members will reviw your applciation for completeness, and will notify you of materials that need to be received before your application is taken to the Admissions Committee. Submission without these materials allows us to prepare your application, making the process fast once your remaining materials arrive. 

How will I know when my application materials have been received?

You can login to our online application portal any time post-submission to view the status of your application materials. You will receive an email once your application is received, and when it is taken to the Admissions Committee. You may also reach out to us at to check on the status of your application materials.

My school has gone to P/F grading for Spring 2020. Will this affect my application?

We understand Spring 2020 grading may be P/F for courses where you normally would have received a letter grade. Do not let this worry you. The IHN will reach out to applicants if the Admissions Committee requires additional information. 


Can I submit electronic transcripts?

Yes and they are preferred. Upload your unofficial e-transcript to the academic information section of the online application. Your unofficial transcript may be used for preliminary application review. An official transcript from each institution attended must be sent to the IHN Admissions Office at In order to be considered official this transcript must come directly from the school (i.e. no student involvement). 

Please note that e-transcripts are strongly preferred to hard copies.

I am an international student. Do I need to translate my grades to the US grading system?

Your transcript must be translated to a US grading system before it is reviewed by the Admissions Committee. World Education Services and Educational Credential Evaluators can both be used to validate and translate your transcripts for submission to the MS application.

Standardized Tests

I am an international student. Do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS?

You must take the TOEFL or IELTS if your native language is not English and you have received an undergraduate degree from an institution in a country where the official language is not English. The TOEFL school code is 2173. The IHN requires the following minimum scores:

  • 600 on the TOEFL paper-and-pencil test
  • 100 on the TOEFL internet-based test
  • 7.0 on IELTS

What are the Institute's GRE codes?

School code: 2173, Department Code: 0214

How can I submit my MCAT scores?

Visit the AAMC website. Click on Get MCAT Test Scores and log in with your credentials. Click on Create Score Report in order to access a sixteen-digit verification code. Enter your AAMC ID, MCAT score, sub-scores and accompanying percentiles, and your verification code into the test scores section of the online applicationVerification codes can only be used once, so please do not test the code yourself, or give the same code to other institutions.

Letters of Recommendation

Are committee letters written for dental, graduate, medical, nursing schools or other graduate schools acceptable?

Yes, medical school (and other) committee recommendation packets are acceptable; additional letters are welcome. Letters can be written for entry to any graduate/professional school; recommenders do not need to re-write letters specifically for the MS in Nutrition Science program. Committee letters and separate recommendation letters can be uploaded through the online application, emailed to IHN admissions at, sent to IHN admissions via Interfolio, or mailed to the office at the following address:

Institute of Human Nutrition
c/o Education Officer

Columbia University Irving Medical Center
630 West 168th Street, PH15E-1512
New York, NY 10032

Can I send in a pre-health committee recommendation packet or letters via Interfolio?

Yes. Direct them to

Career Options

If I complete the MS program, will that guarantee me a slot or interview in the Columbia medical school?

Completion of the MS in Human Nutrition program does not guarantee admissions interviews for any other program at Columbia University or other institutions. The Institute of Human Nutrition’s admissions office and admissions procedures are independent of other degree programs at Columbia University.

I am interested in becoming a registered dietitian. Will this program fully prepare me for the RD exam and offer support in placement in a dietetic internship?

No. The IHN MS program does not fully prepare students for the RD exam or offer support in pursuing a dietetic internship. Students interested in becoming registered dietitians should explore the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

What are the common career paths of an MS program graduate?

While approximately two thirds of our graduates conitnue on to medical school, many realize that their MS in Human Nutrition opens the door for a wide variety of career options. Common fields entered by our graduates include: healthcare (e.g. dentistry, medicine, nursing, optometry, physical therapy, podietry, dietetics), business, communications, consulting, journalism, law, program development and administration, public health, research, and technology. 

Tuition, Financial Aid and Housing

What is the tuition and cost of attendance?

Details about tuition and total program costs can be found on our Tuition and Financial Aid webpage

What are my funding options? Is financial aid available for the MS in Nutrition Science Program?

The Institute of Human Nutrition works with the Columbia University Irving Medical Center's Student Financial Aid and Planning Office to provide MS students with information on loans. The course load does not afford time for work-study programs. There are no scholarships available at the Institute of Human Nutrition at this time, except for student veterans, who may participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. Students may seak outside scholarship opportunities and should connect with the Student Financial Aid and Planning Office to discuss details.

Is financial aid available for international students?

Yes, please visit our Student Financial Aid and Planning Office for details and contact them directly to discuss options available to you. 

Can students work either full or part time while in the nutrition program as a full-time student?

Students are strongly discouraged from planning to work during the program. Under special circumstances, upon review and consultation with the program director, some students can handle limited employment. We request and strongly recommend that you do not consider seeking employment until after you are settled in your thesis setting so that you can gauge the workload first.

What is the cost for on-campus or off-campus housing?

On-campus housing for all students at Columbia University Medical Center is limited. Prices vary according to the type of accommodation (apartment or dorm style). Housing applications are available to incoming students upon notification of acceptance, and should be submitted as soon as possible. For additional information about on-campus housing, please visit the CUIMC Office of Housing Services. Off-campus housing in the neighborhood is also available. CUIMC Office of Housing Services can assist with off-campus housing, and has a portion of their website dedicated to off-campus housing.

Is Columbia University Irving Medical Center safe?

The Columbia University Department of Public Safety works around the clock to maintain a secure and open environment for the entire Columbia University community, and to balance the safety of all with the rights of the individual. For more information visit the Columbia University Department of Public Safety website.